Become a Distress Line Volunteer
Volunteers are the lifeline of our service! Our volunteers make a difference in the lives of those in our community who are lonely, in crisis, or experiencing emotional stress.
Distress Line volunteer qualifications:
- Good Listener
- Able to Handle Crisis
- Common Sense
- Responsible and Reliable
- 18 years of age or older
- Able to volunteer 12 hours a month
- Able to obtain a Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
Distress Line volunteer responsibilities:
- Provide telephone support to people who call the Distress Line in accordance with the policies and guidelines learned in the training session.
- Volunteer 12 hours each month during your first year of volunteering (for a total of 144 hours). Shifts are either 3 or 4 hours in length and we operate 365 days of the year. Once your training is complete, you choose the shifts that are most convenient for you.
- Be reliable in fulfilling your shift commitments.
- Attend ongoing training and workshops as provided by the Centre.
Our Training and Volunteer experience will:
- Improve your active listening and communications skills.
- Teach you crisis prevention and crisis intervention skills.
- Increase your knowledge of community resources and social issues.
- Develop and improve skills useful in personal and business situations.
- Give you valuable work experience. Once you complete your 144 hours you will receive a letter of reference.
Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening
As part of the selection process, you will need to obtain a current Police Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening. This type of check & screening can take up to 8 weeks to process. Please contact the police services in your region for more details. We cannot accept Police Record checks/screening older than 6 months, or if it’s a photocopy.
Fees for Training
There is a $60 fee for training. $20 is used to cover the cost of print material, and $40 is returned to you after you complete your 1 year commitment of 144 volunteer hours.
We are currently recruiting for our Fall 2015 Training Sessions.
We will hold 2 training sessions between September and December 2015.
The dates will be posted soon.
The application process can take several months to complete. All applications will be reviewed, however not all applicants will be invited to take the next step in the selection process.